I don't know if you guys know, but the American media made a super big fuss about airports and the Thanksgiving holiday, which was last week. Quite honestly, it really wasn’t a big deal. Trust me, I would know.
In the lead-up to Thanksgiving, I heard a million things about how pat-downs would make holiday travel a nightmare. There were fears of boycotts, and talk of how holiday air travel would be thrown into chaos.
I flew into New York on the 20th, and was planning to fly to South Carolina on the 24th. The day before Thanksgiving, and the day that was most widely talked about for boycotts and chaos. After a 3-am wakeup call and two hours of battle with the New York subway system, I finally arrived at JFK at 5.27am, for a flight that departed at 6am. I was resigned to missing my flight - but there was not even a line at security, and I made it to the gate with at least fifteen minutes to spare.
(it was pretty much the smallest plane I'd ever been on though!!)
My second flight from Washington to Raleigh was delayed by an hour, but for weather concerns, not security issues. Other areas of the country had problems with weather too - still no security dramas.
The delay of my second flight made it quite difficult to catch my third and fourth flights, but again, this was due to nothing else but the weather.
And at the end of the day, I made it to Charleston, South Carolina in one piece - with my dignity and my personal space bubble still intact. In my personal opinion, the whole air travel holiday security fear fiasco was a big fizzle, and ended up being more media hype than actual substantiated worries.
(sunrise from the plane...isn't it pretty? :)
I did promise a post about barn dancing though, and that will follow shortly! :)
I was eagerly awaiting news of the alledged boycott. What are your views on the full body scans? did you have one?
ReplyDeletelove you
now you know the true meaning of the phrase 'seasoned traveller'. Lol. Love Mom
ReplyDelete