Monday, September 20, 2010

everything is bigger in America.

And no, this is not the start of some kind of joke. Really, I know I've said it before, but everything really IS bigger here.

For example...what could be more American than Starbucks? Right? The little white coffee cup with the green logo...looks something like this...


Okay, that's a terrible photo, but you get the idea. But there's a catch to ordering coffee here - there is no such thing as a 'small' coffee. You get a 'tall' coffee, a 'grande' coffee, or a 'venti' coffee. I really don't know what was wrong with describing them as small, medium and large...but hey, maybe Americans have a complex about ordering just a 'small' coffee, and a 'tall' double cream skim milk caramel moccachino with no froth makes them feel better about themselves. Even though there really is no escaping the fact that it's a small coffee...and a ridiculously priced small coffee at that.

But for a few more examples of big things here...my roommate attempted to just buy a small bottle of Listerine, and just a small amount of shower gel. And here's what she ended up with...

You'd think we were staying here for a year by that amount of mouthwash!

And one more 'big' thing that made me laugh...at first I had no idea what I was looking at...


No, not Becca. She's cool. But the breakfast cereal she's holding...it's super super sized! lol. 

Now I realise the guy that did the Super Size Me documentary actually really did have a valid reason for doing so! Oh America.

One last photo for today...of one very happy Sarah receiving a care package all the way from Australia! :) I now have enough Australian flags, koalas and pet rocks to last me the next few months....hopefully.


Until next time...keep it real and say NO to super size! :)

5 comments:

  1. I would like to say that America doesn't supersize everything... but that wouldn't be true. If you get the chance to go a Sams Club, BJs, or CostCo... it's all gigantic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, glad the parcel got there in one piece! And I feel very small and Australian after reading this.... I like it.
    Love you
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love reading your blog Sarah...
    Gives me the giggles!!!! Great story telling!!!!
    Looking forward to hearing more.

    Ronnie (Duthie :)) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL That's why Americans are the fattest in the world!! Everything comes in HUGE sizes!! I ordered a SMALL fry at McDs the other day, which I NEVER do, and they thing is the size of a medium fry from when I was a kid. They can charge more or bigger products and there is nothing we can do about it.
    You crack me up girlfriend!!

    Jess

    ReplyDelete
  5. Funny how heaps of Americans are super-sized too :D Blog again soon, I'm missing you.

    xoxoxox Fatty (Danielle) :)

    ReplyDelete