So where I am, it's Wednesday morning. Which means classes. I actually have classes every single day of the week here...and I have to attend every single one of them - they mark classes on attendance and participation here! How crazy.
Speaking of crazy, here's another crazy thing about America - they don't really like to drink water here. Now I'm not the biggest water-drinker in the world by a long way, but I do have a healthy appreciation for it. And just to ask for water with your meal here is so strange...I'm often on the receiving end of odd looks when I ask for such an abnormal thing. Water...really? I can't possibly want to drink that...I mean, it doesn't have ANY high fructose corn syrup or even any sugar in it!
It's bad enough that my international student family have spent the better part of last week's meal times looking for water. Sound like we're in a desert? Nope, just the good ol' U.S. of A. Get this - in the dining hall they have not just one option for water - they have four. But heaven forbid that it be just plain H2O. There's a lemon flavour, a tropical punch flavour, a grapefruit flavour, and an ice tea flavour. Yay! More sugar!
After no less than an entire week here, we discovered where you can find water in the dining halls - if you're desperate enough, that is. You have to look for the iced tea dispenser, and then there's a tiny button next to it saying 'water'. Really, guys?!
Anyway. America is really a rather fun place, despite the lack of hydration facilities.
Maybe one day I'll be brave enough to try drinking Dr. Pepper?
Dr Pepper tastes like cough medicine, I do not recommend it!! Gees sounds like school, actually having to go!! But good thing you're in the USA and will want to go to class to meet people! I know what you mean about the water. At camp we had to made the kids have one glass before they could have something sugary, but there were always fights lol. Sounds like you're having a great time though, keep having fun!!
ReplyDeleteBridget
heck we miss u! all the way from Australia! remember those holloway days Sj..hope all is goin dang splendid! Hah. keep these blogs comin !! :)
ReplyDeleteits raining here... just so u know lol
ReplyDeleteWell done, water sleuths ... you never know, the international gang may just start an H2O trend. And participation in classes even! What a foreign concept. Haha!
ReplyDeleteLove you
Mum